Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Very First (almost) Done-In-A-Day Project

I am so excited to share this post with you!!! 

Let me preface it by saying, that a domestic goddess I am NOT.  I don't enjoy cooking (even though The Hubs says I'm good at it . . . ).  I despise the clean-up afterward.  Which leads me into how I hate cleaning.  I think I'm allergic to it - every time I clean, I sneeze.  (The Hubs will tell you that it's b/c of the extreme amount of dust I am stirring up . . .)  I don't see the fun in organizing stuff. 

Ok, are you getting the picture, yet?

Come to my house anytime prior to 2011 today, and you'll see a big ole bunch of mess.  You might run into dirty dishes, piles of laundry - it's prob clean, but you know it hasn't been put up, a floor that needs to be swept AGAIN for the 3rd time that day, etc.  Really - there's no telling what you'll see - but chances are that you WON'T see a spotless house.  And, well, we're all friends here, right?  Let me be honest - you still won't find that immaculate house at Latimer Land.  But what you will find is a girl trying to keep things together the best she can while her two hellions angels destroy it as fast they can. 

Enter Mission 2011 Turn Around.  It's my goal this year to get every room of my home organized.  And finally decorated - I'm tired of the mix-match stuff we've had since college.  I've found an amazing blog that I am so inspired by:  House of Smiths.  This girl is so talented when it comes to DIY home projects.  I have at least half a dozen of her ideas on my to-do list.  The hanging flower balls for B's room, the flower headbands, the canvas frame (can't WAIT for this one!), the pantry make-over (do I even dare????) . . . the list goes on and on. 

The one that really caught my eye was her laundry room makeover.  I honestly think before reading her post that I never even considered the laundry room to be a room that you would decorate.  But she made it look SO GOOD.  I just had to give my own dark and dismal beast of a laundry room an overhaul. 

And . . .

I did it in ONE day.  Yep - 4 hours tops and I only spent $132 total.  It's a tiny space, but now it feels so homey! Pretty good I'd say for a room that had NOTHING in it . . . other than cobwebs and dust bunnies. 

And a whole lotta dirty laundry -
IMG_0105

IMG_0107

IMG_0106

IMG_0110

IMG_0112

As you can so clearly see, I had LOTS of cleaning to do. Oddly enough, it didn't take that long. I did end up with 4 trash bags full of junk though.

A clean, but bare laundry room:
IMG_0115
yes, my cat's name is Zyrtec - I'm allergic. (see, i'm so funny . . . )

IMG_0117

IMG_0119

And the reason why it's an (almost) Done in A Day project instead of a Done in A Day project is that The Hubs has to paint for me over the weekend. It's gonna be so yummy!
IMG_0120

And for the BIG REVEAL:
IMG_0123

IMG_0126

IMG_0127

IMG_0129

IMG_0132

IMG_0133

So, there she is - my NEW and wayyyyy IMPROVED laundry room. I love it. love it. love it. And I hope you do too! Stay tuned for the final After pictures once the room is painted.

Let me end by saying if I can do this ANYONE ANYONE ANYONE can do this too. Remember? Not a domestic goddess talkin' to ya.

7 comments:

  1. Super cute job lady!! I'm totally impressed and inspired. You rock!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job!! I really love what you've done. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the blog you were getting the ideas from and saw her laundry room, and thought that is amazing wish mine was that big. What can I do mine is so small(same size as yours). But now I see ALOT. Great job I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. And inspiring. Maybe I should do mine....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!!! Seriously - anyone can do this project - it was so easy! I got everything from either Target (shower curtain, rug, and yellow frame), Tuesday Morning (flower arrangements and lemons in bowl) and Big Lots (wicker baskets). I still want to introduce some blue accent pieces once it's painted, but it's mostly done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute after pics!! My favorite part is your cat named Zyrtec!! So clever

    ReplyDelete