Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Welcome to Latimer Land

Hello and Welcome to Latimer Land!

(catchy title, huh?  (i use to teach 5th grade, baby!) - and Latimer Land - that's an example of alliteration.  don't worry if you didn't know that - i didn't until i had to teach it . . . )

I'm Heather (Latimer if you haven't picked up on that yet) - wife of 7.5 years to Rob and mom to Brooklyn, 5.5, and Jake, so close to 3 we might as well just say he's 3.  But if you ask him - he's 4.  And he's been 4 for about a year now.  For Jake's bday party next weekend, we're inviting everyone to his First 4th Bday Party.  Who needs to be three anyways?

I'm a stay-at-home, work-from-home, read-LOTS-of-books-from-home mama to two of the coolest kiddos on the block.  Seriously - they are some kind of funny.

I own my own photography biz (Frogs and Faeries) that specializes in newborn and family portraits.  I LOVE it - almost every single minute of it (i mean, let's be real - even dream jobs have their moments).  I love it so much that it doesn't take much for me to cross the line into obsession with it.  Some days it's all I think about - i eat, sleep, breathe it.  I'm fortunate to have a successful, growing business.  I know this.  I also know that my kiddos are only going to be this small for a very short amount of time.  My daughter is already just about too big for me to carry her.  My son doesn't call me Mommy anymore.  I can work for the rest of my life - I can't get back moments I missed b/c I was too busy at the computer while my kiddos played Toy Story 3 Yahtzee in another room; or watched another episode of Yo Gabba Gabba; or played He-Man and She-Ra for hours (yes, my kids have discovered this classic cartoon from my youth - don't judge - we live in the South).  I CANNOT get those moments back.  Once the are gone, they are GONE.

So with this in mind, The Hubs and I decided that I would really scale back on the business side of things, only take on a select number of clients each month, and really focus on what matters - OUR FAMILY.


BY. FAR. THE. BEST. DECISION. WE. HAVE. EVER. MADE.

Just ask my mother-in-law.

Now, I have time to cook meals each night (sorry kids - no more McDonalds) AND do the dishes afterwards.  I have time to do the laundry AND put it up (crazy, i know).  I have time sit in the floor with my babies and read them books or give them horsey rides (sorry, knees) or have a Movie Night with un-microwave popcorn (what the heck is that called?  you know - you pop it in a pan with a crank under the lid - the real kernels with oil?  drawing a blank here).

I just have TIME and it is a breath of fresh air.

So without much more rambling, I have (one more time) time to devote to a family blog and not just my biz blog.  I am super excited to start this endeavor.  And in all honesty, there no telling what you're gonna read on here.  I'm not shy.  I don't embarrass easily.  (hopefully my kiddos and The Hubs doesn't either)

So, sit back and enjoy the show . . .

Heather

7 comments:

  1. I love it. Welcome Latimers to family blog land. I know this one is going to be one to pull up the chair a little closer, mute the tv and grab a quick cup of coffee! So excited about your new effort to bring more balance to your family! I'm instituting a similar plan myself! Hurray to a balanced and enjoyable (and surely FUNNY) 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! So excited to add you to my collection of fun blogs written by women in the real world. Maybe this year we can actually meet at Starbucks for coffee!! Such a novel idea. And wait....Zavier cans till get his 1 yr session in right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - i said "select" amount of appts - i'm screening all of the potential clients (insert evil laughter) I think you pass the requirements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. This mother-in-law is so proud of you. The laundry room looks so good, didn't know you could do so much to a laundry room.
    Was a great decision for you to cut back on your work load. Enjoy your family and nice house you all have.(Wish it was in Columbia)I'm so happy my son Rob, found such a wonderful wife and mother. Dud Dud and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaand, bookmarked! Can't wait till GAGA in April!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me either, Katie!!! We need to get together before then though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely! Me, you & Megan need to do lunch or coffee soon!

    ReplyDelete